"Moreover, you scorned our people, and compared the Albanese to sheep, and according to your custom think of us with insults. Nor have you shown yourself to have any knowledge of my race. Our elders were Epirotes, where this Pirro came from, whose force could scarcely support the Romans. This Pirro, who Taranto and many other places of Italy held back with armies. I do not have to speak for the Epiroti. They are very much stronger men than your Tarantini, a species of wet men who are born only to fish. If you want to say that Albania is part of Macedonia I would concede that a lot more of our ancestors were nobles who went as far as India under Alexander the Great and defeated all those peoples with incredible difficulty. From those men come these who you called sheep. But the nature of things is not changed. Why do your men run away in the faces of sheep?"
Letter from Skanderbeg to the Prince of Taranto ▬ Skanderbeg, October 31 1460

Batroun, emri i nje qyteti te lashte Fenikas

Diskutim profesional për gjuhën.

Moderators: Mallakastrioti, bardus

TeuAL
Supreme Member
Supreme Member

Batroun, emri i nje qyteti te lashte Fenikas

Post by TeuAL » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:18 am

" BOTRYS (Batroun), ancient Syria, modern Lebanon, the Phoenician wall and the Roman Theatre . . . "
Keto te dhena lexohen ne fleten www: http://www.discoverlebanon.com/en/panor ... heatre.php

Me tej, nder te tjera, lexojme: " . . .

Historical times
a- The Phoenician Period (3,300 B.C. to 64 B.C.)
It was during this time that the name Batroun first appeared in history, for example in the letters of Tal el Amarna, dating from the first half of the 14th century before Christ. A votive statuette of about 2,000 B.C. gives us an idea of the antiquity of the city. From the sea bottom around Batroun, fishermen sometimes bring up pieces of the pottery in which the Phoenicians used to carry their food products.Several sarcophagi have been exhumed from the Phoenician cemetery situated south of the town. The two docks of Batroun Port are separated by the Phoenician wall 225 m. long. The 9th century B.C. Phoenician citadel built by Ittobaal king of TYRE (approx. 887-856 B.C.) as a fortification to impede the advance of the Assyrian armies is the oldest surviving vestige of a building in the town . . . .

b- The Roman-Byzantine Period (64 B.C. to approx. 636 A.D.)
About the year 47 B.C. Julius Caesar gave the people of Batroun the right of Roman citizenship and then after 31 B.C. Augustus gave the town the right to strike its own coinage. The town enjoyed this privilege up to the middle of the third century A.D.. The Roman theater situated to the east of the Phoenician town was the local artistic and cultural center.
. . .

Historians believe that the Greek name of the town originates from the Phoenician word, bater, which means to cut and it refers to the maritime wall that the Phoenicians built in the sea to protect them from tidal waves . . . "
- - - - - - - - -
Pra, historianet mendojne se eshte fjala fenikase bater = ndaj (me mur ne kete rast) qe i ka dhene emrin qytetit te lashte fenikas.

Prane Butrintit tone ndodhet nje mur i lashte, "Muri i Demes". A mendoni qe ekziston mundesia e nje ngjashmerie ne emertimin e Butrintit me emertimin e qytetit te lashte fenikas Batroun ?

Return to “Linguistikë”